ice cream making and ranting

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Do it Rockapella


Poll Shows Many Can't Find La. on Map

A poll of 510 people aged 18-24 has disturbing but not particularly surprising results. Thank goodness for my old age putting me out of this demographic. But, the next time anyone tries to lecture me about my not talking to strangers, please remember these are the type of strangers I am likely to meet.

Granted, you can’t poll people who don’t want to be polled, so maybe that demographic skews a bit smarter. I would never claim to know geography, but some things you should just know!

One-third of respondents couldn't pinpoint Louisiana on a map and 48 percent were unable to locate Mississippi.

Louisiana really? One of those retarded middle states, or confusing some of the small New England states, quite understandable. But Louisiana?? I’m embarrassed for America.

While the outsourcing of jobs to India has been a major U.S. business story, 47 percent could not find the Indian subcontinent on a map of Asia.

Same goes for India. All of those Middle East countries—totally understandable. And the borders change every week, who can be expected to keep up? But India. It’s giant, and recognizable.


Six in 10 did not know the border between North and South Korea is the most heavily fortified in the world. Thirty percent thought the most heavily fortified border was between the United States and Mexico.

Ok, maybe I wouldn’t guess North and South Korea. In fact, Korea doesn’t really make a blip on my daily radar. But US/Mexico? Is that just the first border they could think of? Aren’t there like daily news stories about how unprotected it is?

I think it may be time to bring back Carmen San Diego

3 Comments:

  • At May 04, 2006 9:15 AM, Blogger lydia said…

    The cartoon was inferior to the gameshow by far.

    I'm seriously thinking of buying Where in Time... I was 2 levels off from finishing.

     
  • At May 04, 2006 12:05 PM, Blogger Kenny said…

    I liked the game show so I got Where in Time for the NES, then I realized I hated playing a game that basically consisted of looking shit up while a timer ticked down.

     
  • At May 04, 2006 10:29 PM, Blogger C said…

    nothing beats running around on top of a giant map with those blue light special lights

     

Post a Comment

<< Home