ice cream making and ranting

Sunday, April 30, 2006

Starz Free Preview

It’s Starz free preview weekend. And I just can’t seem to focus on my homework for very long.

It all started with Disney’s Ice Princess which wasn’t very good, even by my standards. The characters aren’t ever fully developed, and the ending is just lacking. I’d expect this sort of thing from a DISNEY CHANNEL movie, but for a theatrical release I’d expect more

Then for some reason, I tuned in to the middle of Elf which ended up being much better than I expected. It was warm, Christmasy and all around cute. This embarrasses me, but I’ll have to live with it. It was nothing like the trailers made me think it was. And Will Farrell hardly annoyed me.

Elf amused me, unlike Christmas with the Kranks. I read the book a few years ago and didn’t particularly enjoy it. My mom just likes passing on books that her friends give her. But the movie was even worse. I don’t know exactly what details make me like farce and slapstick, but this movie did not have any of them. And the whole premise is just a slap in the face to sensibility. Really, the WHOLE town decorates for Christmas? Not one single one of them doesn’t have the time, money, inclination, or correct religion? Really? And it’s completely unforgivable to decide to take a cruise on Christmas because your daughter won’t be coming home even though ever other year you’ve been a regular elf with the parties and decorations? Really? Gag.

And most embarrassing of all was White Chicks, even though it turned out to be more entertaining than Christmas with the Kranks. Yes the Wayans brothers dress up like white spoiled little rich girls. But it was better than I expected. Also, I love spoiled little rich girls.

Last but not least was the movie I’ve been dying to see, Hilary Duff’s Raise your voice. Hilary lives in a small town in Arizona, the kind where people get stuck, never leaving city limits etc. Her dad is a hard-ass for no reason, wanting to protect (read: smother) his baby from the evils of Los Angeles. Hilary, however, has other plans, and when she gets into a prestigious summer music program in the heart of downtown LA, she goes, with the help of her mom and aunt. I was expecting it to be a bit more Fame-like. But it didn’t have the same feel. Although the ending scene with the final recital performance was just begging for a rendition of I Sing the Body Electric. And there was a nerd boy who was totally into his electronic noise music. The conflict is mostly internal, and between Hilary and her family. The minor conflicts with the kids in her program were there just to fill space, and were pretty lame. So, of course the dad finds out, he rushes to LA to bring her home, right in the middle of the recital. And of course, she performs a song, dedicated to her dead brother who was her #1 fan, and the dad’s heart grows 3 sizes that day, and he becomes her new #1 fan. I’m glad I didn’t pay money for this movie.

I’m very much looking forward to tonight’s showing of Two Brothers those baby tigers are awfully cute!

1 Comments:

  • At May 01, 2006 9:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I didn't think I'd like White Chicks, but it was absolutely great... Not like Oscar worthy or anything, but damn funny. JP and I were singing "Making my way downtown..." for weeks... (Of course, we also enjoyed The Pacifier--rented of course...)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home