ice cream making and ranting

Tuesday, March 15, 2005

HERSHEY'S CAJETA ELEGANCITA

After class on Saturday, I stopped by the 99 cent store which is a few
blocks away. It's a very nice store, with rather well groomed, pleasant
shoppers. And, unlike my traitorous 98 cent store, they've kept their
prices the same for all of eternity. My goal was lipton noodle soup and
bagels, of course that's not all I bought. In addition to the unauthorized VHS bio of J.K. Rowling there was the cajeta elegancita.

Usually I don't bother picking up things that are written in Spanish, but Hershey was prominently on the wrapper, and it looked good. It was a wafer cookie/candy, but unlike a kit kat which has a thick layer of milk chocolate trapping in the wafery goodness, there was a thin layer of chocolate, and a decorative in consequential drizzle on top. I had no idea what was in this candy bar, but the ingredients were written in english as well as Spanish, and they seemed pretty standard. so for 33 cents, i took the gamble. And it was good, wafery and hazel nutty. And i read the wrapper again, hazel nuts aren't listed an an ingredient. So, I go home, and like a product of the internet age, check the internet. It turns out in mexico Cajeta is "a type of dulce de leche, a very sweet, caramelized condensed milk" made from goat's milk. but, in a number of the rest of the Spanish speaking countries it "is a vulgar term for a certain delicate part of the female anatomy."

He, he, he, I just ate a dirty candy bar. But, mostly, my concern is why does this goat milk product taste like hazel nut? What kind of goats do they have in Mexico? And, i could have easily missed it, but I don't remember goat's milk being on the ingredient list.

I don't really know what I ate, but it was good, and I recommend it. I'll definitely stop by in 2 weeks when I have to go back to school, and buy more.

1 Comments:

  • At July 25, 2005 9:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi, I am so glad you liked the new candy from Hershey's/Thalia. She is my favorite singer and I really loved the candy too! I laughed when I read your discriptions :D

    Mo

     

Post a Comment

<< Home