ice cream making and ranting

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

I want YOU

In my email today I got one from the official school mailing list for DHS fellowship. I didn’t know what that was, so I opened it, and it turns out it’s the Department of Homeland Security. Are they kidding? Requesting the email be forwarded to a bunch of Californian future librarians?! Are they not aware of the current feelings about the PATRIOT act and such? Or are they hoping to find a single mole who will spy on all librarians and report back who’s reading, Judy Blume, Mark Twain and D.H. Lawrence. Why doesn't Mobil start offering scholarships to people in Greenpeace, or maybe the Beef Council should partner with PETA?

All I hope is that no librarians are stupid enough to think they can make changes from the inside.

It seems to me, the academic community in general is not too happy with it all. So good luck to Uncle Sam. Only YOU can prevent forest fires, or something. Although, I suppose I shouldn’t underestimate the draw of cold hard cash.

1 Comments:

  • At January 03, 2006 1:50 PM, Blogger Zack said…

    Or are they hoping to find a single mole who will spy on all librarians and report back who’s reading, Judy Blume, Mark Twain and D.H. Lawrence.

    Bingo. Nothing to lose, everything to gain.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home