ice cream making and ranting

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Not for the pure of heart

So, as it turns out, I’ve come to believe I’m not a crazy who is offended by Hollywood movies, and/or condemns works before I’ve seen/read them. Actually, I’m offended by the whole concept of virginity. Virgin/whore, stud/slut… I just can’t deal with it anymore. I’m way out of high school why do I still have to deal with such myopic labels. There, I’ve said it. Now I’m a social outcast who will never find a job.

This imaginary concept has been used to terrorize people for centuries and I’m calling it out! So, people have sex. Big deal. So, people don’t have sex. Big deal. Why is there even a word for it? It’s no one’s business except the people involved. Sex only has as much power as you personally give it. Why let it be a bully?

I’ve never been to Hawaii, plenty of people have and plenty of others haven’t, I think it might be a pleasant thing to do in the future, maybe even with my imaginary husband. But for now, for whatever reasons, I haven’t been yet. Does that make me fundamentally different from the people who have been?

What especially offends me are those virginity rallies. I don’t care to have all the facts, so I’ll just make them up. But group a bunch of kids in a stadium for a few hours, tell them that God loves them and hates people who have sex, and brainwash them into submission. Now, think about all of that time being wasted. If you sent the kids out to join Habitat for Humanity, or a big brothers/sisters organization, or a literacy program…just think how much good could be done. If I were God, I’d be ashamed of all my people frittering away their time being vain about their virginity when they could be doing actual public good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home