ice cream making and ranting

Friday, August 12, 2005

never second best

I’ve been meaning to blog about this for weeks, ever since I saw the commercial on the Disney Channel. Finally I have the inclination, and time.

You’ve all heard of Disney’s new Sky High movie. But I think the regular commercials don’t show the horror of it all.

Disney has this bowling for soup band in their back pocket. Why have I heard of bowling for soup I asked myself, and it turns out they do that 1985 song. They also do a cover of the bare necessities song, which is available for listening while playing neopets.

And in this movie they do a cover of I Melt with you. And Disney produced a video. “What’s wrong with this?” you ask. I love 80’s fluff, and I’m happy to have everyone exposed to it. And while I usually don’t pay a bit of attention to the lyrics, it is a love song. Love. And, as love is wont to do, it includes sex. Not bowling for soup though. The fact that 2 of the 3 “top results” from amazon are labeled “Explicit lyrics,” doesn’t stop them from disneyfying a legitimate love song.

Original: Making love to you was never second best
New: Being friends with you was never second best

I know they're Disney, but even they have some explaining to do. Someone has to hold them accountable. This is just as bad as when they take love songs, substitute the word "God" and pass it off as religious.

Now, the whole soundtrack is covers of mostly legit, grown up songs. I can only wonder what other horrors are hidden. Here's my 5 minutes of research list of objectionable things

And she was: she was taking off her dress--- can’t encourage that
Please, Please Please Let Me Get What I Want: Lord knows, it would be the first time—taking the lord’s name in vain
One thing leads to another—just the name alone is enough to send the PTC and friends into a tizzy
Voices Carry: he said shut up he said shut up---if people object to sponge bob saying it…
Through being cool: going to beat some butts… spank the pank who try to drive you nuts


I’m not sure how things work in music, but surely all of these cover albums that Disney keeps producing can’t be better than if they used the real songs from the real people. Or is it another form of extending their reach into every home in the world, hoping that people will forget about the old and only pay attention to their new.

bleh.

3 Comments:

  • At August 13, 2005 1:23 AM, Blogger Kenny said…

    Bowling for Soup also does the Jimmy Neutron theme song on Taiko Drum Master.

    There is another recent cover out of "I Melt With You" that I've heard on Indie 103.1. It's a woman's voice, and it's sung softly and slowly. It's awesome. I may like it better than the original, or at least, it makes me like the song more by casting the original in a new light. Probably better than the Bowling for Soup version.

    Speaking of cover-filled Disney soundtracks, I made you a copy of the Herbie CD but I never gave it to you because the Caleigh Peters "Fun Fun Fun" cover didn't come out. That one track was dead. And I haven't re-burned it.

     
  • At August 14, 2005 3:59 PM, Blogger Kenny said…

    I saw an ad for Sky High in LA Weekly, touting the Bowling for Soup cover and "other '80s hits!" What's with Disney movies and covers of '80s hits?

    Anyway, I started thinking about that lyric change again. The song is called "I Melt With You." That doesn't even make sense in any other context. In fact, melting with your friends is plain creepy. Couldn't they at least do "Making out with you" or "being close to you" or something that preserves some continuity with the rest of the lyrics? Or maybe, if it's such a problem, they should pick a different song.

     
  • At August 15, 2005 4:12 PM, Blogger C said…

    Yes, they should have chosen a different song. or maybe no song at all

    I don't understand this recent laziness. Disney is known for producing fantastic songs, and by making their own, they can control all the lyrics. it's not like the kids who are watching the movie know the original songs, having a different band doesn't make it a novelty, it's still a new song to them. They could just use the original.

    i'd listen to indie 103.1 more often, but as soon as any of the djs start talking it makes me want to crash my car and die.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home