ice cream making and ranting

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

The Video Game Librarian

This article is my library link of the day, today.

This guy is obviously not a librarian because in paragraph 4-5 he learns of the concept of permanancy of format for the first time.

That being said, once he's learned it, he remembers it. And he goes through exactly the criteria librarians use to pick materials for the collection without waxing poetic chapter after chapter, article after article. cost, format, accessability, what the patron needs vs what i want them to use, etc., etc., etc.

Yes, I'm finally going to say it. I spent my first year of library school all rosy eyed and giving it the benefit of the doubt. But that's it. I'm not learning much. I'm learning a lot more from my digressions when I'm researching than from my assignments. Library school, my program at least, is a big song and dance. It seems, the only way to learn to be a librarian is to try, or at least watch librarians do their jobs. I've finally accepted that, and I'll be a bit less rosy for the rest of my time in the program, and I'll pay my money, and try to keep out of trouble. Then one day, I'll be officially ready to accept a librarian job. And I guess we'll see how actually ready I am when the day comes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home