ice cream making and ranting

Monday, June 13, 2005

Regal Palace

My performance review last month was very good. I was afraid that my 70/30 ratio of interneting/working would kick me in the behind. I was ready to fight for my profit sharing points, but I didn't have to. And my boss told me how glad she is to have someone competent like me, and said she'd take me out to lunch.

I also got a "teamwork" point gifted to me by someone in another department. I wish they'd tell me who so I could thank that person, but oh well. I guess they're happy with my work, even if I don't work all that often.

My boss took me out to lunch today, fufilling what I thought was an empty promise. We were supposed to go last week, but, well, you read my tums post last week.

After much debate, and her still not convinced that me as an American could really like Chinese food, We went to the Regal Palace Seafood Restaurant. This restaurant has $5-6 lunch specials, great looking dim sum carts (I didn't try any, this time), a light, clean, airy atmosphere, and is about 2 blocks away from the super mediocre Szechwan restaurant (the name, is szechwan) we always go when people visit the office. Why people go to that dark pit of mediocrity, I just don't know.

It seems at lunch time they emphasize the dim sum, and it took all the willpower I had not to pick little bits of fried goodness off the carts as they rolled by. They also have a large and cheap lunch menu.

Something stuck out, fried rock cod with sweet corn sauce. What this was, I had not idea, but my interest was piqued. I asked my boss if she knew what it was, and she didn't, but encouraged me to try it. That seems to be her mission in life, getting me to try new things like calling her customers in whatever strange country they're in, to traveling, to eating corn sauce, apparently. So I ordered it, not knowing what it was.

And I'll tell you what it was. A little bit of heaven, I think. They were slightly larger than chicken nugget sized pieces of fish, breaded in a lovely fluffy batter, and covered in an amazing sauce. It was like a cross between a thick egg drop soup and creamed corn. It came out looking like some kind of magical corn donuts. I've never had anything like it. And now, it's 4 hrs later, and I still can't stop thinking about it.

I'm sure my boss thinks I'm bizarre because I'm so giddy about this corn sauce, but whatever. It's good! And more importantly, I've never had corn sauce before, I've never even heard of it. I think my love of creamed corn is renewed. Think of all the things I can pour it on! And for sure, I'll be making corn ice cream one day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home