ice cream making and ranting

Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Fall is in the... glass...

Eureka. I've made a breakthrough in my deep frying. I bought a piece of salmon to deep fry, but when it came time for dinner i realized the only beer in my fridge besides my dad's absolutely disgisting mgd was my Buffalo Bills Pumpkin Ale , and I didn't really want to waste my nutmeggy goodness on beer batter, but i was curious. And it was fantastic! Usually I use the trader joes fat weasel ale for my deep frying, its a decent beer at a good price. I think next time i'll try the weasel and add nutmeg. Because that could be the secret ingredient.

So, it's almost fall and the Pumpkin ale is in stores again. I have definitely seen it at Cost Plus this season, and quite possibly albertsons. if you haven't tried it, do. i know last year i bought my first one by the single bottle at cost plus. then i was hooked. it smells like pumpkin pie (nutmeg mostly). but it doesn't taste like pumpkin pie. it mostly just tastes like good beer.

up till now i was mistakenly under the impression that the pumpkin ale had to be consumed alone, but that was because i made the mistake of trying to drink it with tacos. nutmeg and taco spice, not really a winning combo. salmon and pumpkin beer = delicious. Actually, I think i have a new love for salmon. And they sell it in such fantastic 6oz pieces at albertsons. I wonder if i just like it because it's pink. Recently I noticed in the ad they've been printing "color added" next to the salmon. so I came up with some crazy schemes of ways to add color, and my sister helped, then i looked it up. salmon, like flamingos get their color from the food they eat in the wild. farm raised salmon don't eat what wild salmon eat, so their food has color added. it's not like it's injected into the flesh or anything. i wonder if i could turn blue if i just drank nothing but blue icees for like a week. or maybe i'd have better luck taking shots of frosting dye. but that stuff is expensive!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home