ice cream making and ranting

Friday, October 14, 2005

Pumpkin is in

As I write this I’m enjoying a pumpkin spiced latte from 7-11. I do have an affinity for drinks that come from frothing machines. I plunked down many a $1.09 for the toffee drink from the ASUC. But this pumpkin thing takes the cake. I don’t think it even pretends to taste like coffee. The only way it could be better is when sipped in front of a fire with a significant other on a brisk autumn night (as opposed to the 85 degrees and sunny that it is right now.) I can’t imagine the Starbucks drink could taste better than this 7-11 one.

In sad news, the 7-11 I go to raised their prices on hot drinks by 4 cents. 4!! If this latte was any less good I’d be angry now. $1.25 was a perfectly reasonable price. Pull out a dollar and a quarter, and that’s it. Now, for exact change you need a minimum of 6 things. Hmmph. And they don’t even have a jar on the counter to donate to muscular dystrophy, or anything.

I don’t know why I ignored 7-11 the entire year I lived next to it in Berkeley. There are so many wondrous things inside. Next time I might try the “apple ginger snap” Big Gulp soda in a 20oz bottle (I didn’t check to see if they have it on the fountain)

A little over a month ago I was lamenting the end of summer, especially the great finds at the farmers markets, and all the horrible fall colors of clothes in the stores. And orange, uggh, why did they even invent that color, it's so ugly. But I’m cool with fall now. I love the cinammony-nutmeggy spices of fall that lead into Christmas. Usually I hate weather under 72 degrees, but I bought so many jackets and coats in the last year, I’m dying to wear them.

Pumpkin is in, and I couldn’t be happier. Pumpkin is the new black! Pumpkin is king. All hail pumpkin.

UPDATE: As I tend to wonder, I've been thinking this might be good with a shot of rum. I think I'm out of rum though. So I'll have to keep wondering.

4 Comments:

  • At October 14, 2005 1:37 PM, Blogger Zack said…

    When I worked at Starbucks, there was a really slow day when four of us held our own competition for most disgusting drink. My own entry was "buttery esprapple juice." Two shots of espresso, a few oz of apple juice, and a pat of butter. I lost.

    The vets told me that the contest was a slow day tradition.

    The pumpkin spiced latte killed that tradition. Carrying on would have been like if I staged an arm wrestling contest with Kenny, Tom, Boback, and Macho Man Randy Savage.

    Unless it has been completely overhauled since last winter, the pumpkin spice latte at Starbucks is undrinkably bad. I say this as a pumpkin lover, and as a friend. It would not surprise me in the slightest if the 7-11 version was superior, since they probably can't affored the high-grade Bolivian dog shit slaw that Starbucks must add to theirs.


    Also, brandy instead of rum.

     
  • At October 14, 2005 1:57 PM, Blogger lydia said…

    I'll second the nomination for brandy.

    I love fall clothing, but it suits my skin tone. I also love the orange Polo shirt I bought on sale at Jeremy's last month. It's a shame I can't find it.

     
  • At October 14, 2005 2:06 PM, Blogger C said…

    do you really need that oversized fish-shaped chocolate lollipop or that candy bar with 15 weird things in it including raisins and jawbreakers? And I'm like, Yes! Yes I do!

    I concur! You must take me when I'm sober! Why haven't you taken me before?!

    ---

    is it pumpkin and coffee togehter that's bad? or the flavor that starbuck's uses itself?

    What was the winning bad drink?

     
  • At October 14, 2005 5:30 PM, Blogger Zack said…

    It's the pumpkin spice sauce, not the drink concept. The matching Frappuccino Blended Coffee, Frappuccino Blended Creme, and the hot pumpkin and milk with whipped cream thing all also sucked. Something is just wrong with that drink. There's something artificial or bizarre in that sauce that is foul.

    The winner ... I actually thought mine was the most disgusting, personally, but the winner blended cofee with the now-discontinued Tazoberry mix, if I recall correctly. There might have been another ingredient. The last place finisher dropped mint gum into coffee but, as you might imagine, that was just like adding a bit of mint syrup.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home