ice cream making and ranting

Friday, October 14, 2005

Books and Bars


I came across a mention of the Books not Bars program. At first, I was a bit put off, because in my line thinking, “bars” mean places where you drink alcohol. And really, I can’t condone that. There’s nothing wrong with books and drinking. Turns out, the idea is, education keeps people out of jail. And education should be used instead of jail to rehabilitate the youth.

I think my concept could be used successfully in some indie rock and yuppie type downtown areas. Books and Bars. Each participating bar could choose a different book and that could be the theme for some weekday night. (much like my previous banned book week idea). The theme could be book talks or book groups or buy named author a drink night. Or it could be purely decorative and symbolic or a combo, or anything really! The possibilities are endless. I’m sure half the people I know would go to a dress like Harry Potter party at a bar. Florida already has the yearly Hemmingway impersonator contest. I think there might be one for Mark Twain too.

Really, more books and more drinking would do most people a bit of good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home