ice cream making and ranting

Wednesday, May 25, 2005

ice cream, ice cream, ice cream, ice cream, ice cream, ice cream, ice cream!

So I haven't confirmed yet, but the UPS website says my ice cream maker has been delivered. This means today I put the bowl in the freezer. And tomorrow I should have some fresh, delicious strawberry ice cream made from tuesday's farmer's market strawberries. Although I'll have to make it after class, It probably won't be hard enough to eat before I go to bed.
yea! ice cream!

I've decided to start with the recipe in the book it comes with. That way I know if I screw up it's my fault, because the recipe is specifically for my maker. I'm a little suspicious of the wisking of the sugar and the milk without any heat, I've never done that before, but can't imagine it would actually work.

FRESH STRAWBERRY ICE CREAM

Preparation: 5 – 10 minutes, plus 2 hours for the strawberries to macerate,20 – 25 minutes chilling time; optional 2 hours to ripen.

Makes twelve 1/2-cup servings.

1 pint fresh ripe strawberries, stemmed and sliced
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 cup sugar, divided
1 cup whole milk
2 cups heavy cream
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

In a small bowl, combine the strawberries with the lemon juice and 1/3cup of the sugar; stir gently and allow to the strawberries to macerate inthe juices for 2 hours.

In a medium bowl, use a hand mixer or a whisk to combine the milk and granulated sugar until the sugar is dissolved, about 1 – 2 minutes on lowspeed. Stir in the heavy cream plus any accumulated juices from the strawberries and vanilla. Turn the machine ON, pour mixture into freezerbowl through ingredient spout and let mix until thickened, about 25 – 30minutes. Add the sliced strawberries during the last 5 minutes of freezing.

Note: this ice cream will have a “natural” appearance of very pale pink; if a deeper pink is desired, sparingly add drops of red food coloring untildesired color is achieved.
Nutritional analysis per serving:Calories 222 (61% from fat) • carbo. 20g • pro 2g • fat 15g • sat. fat 10g • chol.57mg • sod.26mg

I'd better write out my will, I'm going to have a heart attack by the end of summer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home