ice cream making and ranting

Friday, May 20, 2005

your chimes, they reel and they rock

Most people diet for the summer. The winter is over, clothing is shed, etc. Not me. Last year this time I got a deep fryer. Today, I finally bought my Ice cream maker.

I finally decided on the cuisinart after reading through a bunch of reviews. Since it was half price of the kitchenaid attachment, I figured it was a good deal. $80 seemed like an awful lot for ice cream. I could buy 32 half gallons for that price. So that was that. Bland, yet solid branded cuisinart. The shiny metal one they have at Target is very cool looking, but for the same price, I have to go with reliability.

They have the crappy plastic kinds for like $15-20, but from what I understand, they're mostly battery powered and tend to eat batteries, often before the ice cream is done. And crappy ice cream is not worth the savings.

Hopefully it will come in time for my big ice cream making party next Sunday. If not, it'll be the saddest ice cream making party ever.

I brought home a small stack of ice cream books from the library, so I guess i'll read through them. I'm thinking about getting the ben and jerry's one that seems to have top billing on amazon.

amazon sent me the link to the online manual, i haven't read through it yet. I'm actually hoping that I can make like a cup at a time, that way I can make tons of flavors, and not be stuck with them. we'll see if it says anything about a minimum amount.

Ice cream that is too liquid at the end of the churning gets the ice crystals when you put it in the freezer to harden. Supposedly this cuisinart thing is hard enough at the end of the cycle to not get ice crystals, but the perfect consistency to spread onto cake, or make ice cream sandwiches with or mold etc. IF this is true, it'll be the dawn of a new era for me. Nothing will be out of my reach!! I've always liked making dessert better than cooking actual food. Thinking about it now, I can't believe I bought the deep fryer first.

I'm taking flavor suggestions for my first batch, nothing too chunky please. I think I have to start with smooth and graduate up to chunks.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home