ice cream making and ranting

Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Velvet Margarita or how I spent my Tuesday night


Y'all know I don't get out much, especially not to a real city. But yesterday was an exception. I dressed myself up in my fabulous new mod coat, and made my way to the big city.

I took the subway, and halfway through my ride I realized, I was that girl. The person I would pick out of the crowd, who was dressed a little quirky, who was sitting there reading the little prince (because i didn't spend long looking for a small book that would fit in my purse), the one who I'd wonder about, and give her a back story in my head. That definitely made me smile while we were gliding through the ghetto.


But I finally arrived in hollywood, and there were lots of sights to see,
like the world premeire of that Pacifier movie. But the best was the
fantastic
Velvet Margarita


Located about 10 steps from the very disappointing Beauty Bar, this place
had everything the Beauty Bar lacked. Notably, a commitment to the theme,
and a bartender who actually knew how to make drinks. I've been trying,
unsuccessfully, for the past 20 or so hours to form words into sentences
that could describe this place. It defies all convention and logic, yet is
magically works. It's like someone's grandma's house on crack, with a
mexican flair. there's a red half and a blue half. each with their own
velvet flocked wall paper. the bathroom is lit by blacklight and candles.
The tile on the floor is the same patter as the bingo cards we played with
in high school spanish class. I *heart* novelty! Yes, this all sounds very
cool and hip and chic. Yet, no one had any attitude, and the food was very
much homestyle and hearty. My margaritas were decent and strong. why anyone would choose the beauty bar over the velvet margarita is beyond me.


The company wasn't bad either.


Also, it's been a long time since people have tried en mass to force fliers
and such into my hand. I managed to successfully avoid all of the causey ones. But I ended up with a glossy 10% off coupon to Mel's--Kenny it's all yours next time i see you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home