ice cream making and ranting

Friday, February 25, 2005

Information Literacy

My mom is generally pretty savvy. The things she does, she's good at. God help the phone company who charges her an extra 50 cents or those retarded people at the mail in pharmacy who try to charge her double. Yet, 2 weeks ago this conversation took place:

Mom:there's a Chinese food buffet that's reviewed in the RAVE! It sounds good, I want to go.
Me: Is it a review, or is it that paid advertisement section that looks like a review.
Mom: Huh?
Me: are you serious? you've been reading the paper for longer than I could even read. you don't know there's a paid review section in the rave?
Mom: no, it looks like a review
Me: Yes, that's the point, it LOOKS like a review. look at the top "PAID ADVERTISEMENT"
Mom: I still want to go

So she went this week. Despite me telling her it wasn't a review, and that a cheap Chinese food buffet is mediocre, at best. And guess what, she was disappointed, it wasn't nearly as good as it sounded in the ad.

Part of the job of a librarian is to promote information literacy. I guess I'm a failure.

1 Comments:

  • At February 25, 2005 4:19 PM, Blogger Zack said…

    No, you did all you could. You made sure your mother had all the relevant facts. That she ignored you is not your fault.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home