ice cream making and ranting

Wednesday, August 11, 2004

Library School Update

I start library school at the end of the month, in preparation for that I have orientation this Saturday. And in preparation for that, I had to complete the "new student technology course" this week. This course consists of 6 short documents you have to read, one evaluation of fill out, one super short assignment basically there to make sure you know how to upload a word document, and free run of the new student message board, which, when you start class for real will be full of class discussion relevant to class, but is now full of pictures of people's cats. I totally thought librarians and cats were just a stereotype, a stereotype based in reality is more like it.

So the assignment was to write a paragraph about yourself in a word document and then send the word document via the electronic "black board" site. Really, really simple, I'm not sure how to even mess that up. So I sent in my paragraph yesterday, it was about me going to the garlic festival and trying garlic ice cream. And this morning I checked and I recieved 10/10 points. Yea for me. I can attach a file. And the person checking all the files wrote me back a few sentences so I could see where instructor comments go, how that works and stuff. She also said she'd always been curious about garlic ice cream. Nice, cordial response, the black board works fine. Great. Then I notice that the average class grade is 8.73. Not that the grade counts for anything, but really how do you do that assignment wrong? Are there just a few losers who didn't attach the file correctly who got a zero? and that brings everyone's 10 grade down, or are there people who get less than the full 10 points? or are the grades just random to show a reasonable class average? I don't know. But I can only hope that the rest of my assignments are 1/10 this easy.

Meanwhile, this internet thing is great an all, but I'm meeting these people on Saturday and I don't know what to wear. If I wear my cardigan will they think i'm some freakish librarian stereotype? (not like they don't all have their cats at home). Do I dress for school, or do I dress for business? Should I carry a backpack, messenger bag or a large purse? Some things are so complicated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home