ice cream making and ranting

Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Frying Update

This weekend salmon pieces were on sale $1.99 for a beautiful 6 oz piece. So, I thought i would try salmon fish and chips like they have at Rock Bottom Brewing in Long Beach. Well, not the chips. I used alton brown's batter recipe with trader joe's brown weasel ale as the beer, and it was good. It wasn't rock bottom quality, but it was only my first try. The salmon was actually of fantastic quality, maybe I should try a more flavorful beer, or maybe the temperature was a bit off.

The temperature wasn't off for the croquettes though. I don't know why but those things are delicious. I bought them frozen from the Japanese grocery store. They're as easy to make as those hash brown patties, and so much better tasting. I doubt I'll ever make croquettes myself, because I can't imagine them working out better. I tried pan frying mashed potato cakes once, it was kind of a small disaster, they just didn't stay together. they worked a bit better when i rolled them in panko, but not much. I guess it's just not in my blood. It's a good thing the frozen ones are so darn tasty.

My next venture is part of a series that my sister and I are using to test the theory that everything not sweet is made better by ranch, either the salad dressing or the dry mix.
we are going to try fish battered in a mix flavored with ranch powder, then also have the ranch as a dip for the cooked fish. I'll let you all know when I figure out the prize winning recipe for some kind of cook-off.


1 Comments:

  • At August 18, 2004 1:42 PM, Blogger Sarah the Hussy said…

    I tried pan-frying leftover mashed potatoes once. Wow, that didn't work at all. They were still tasty, once I fished all the little bits out of the oil, but they didn't stay together. Big ol' mess.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home