ice cream making and ranting

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Robin's Daily Dose

Dr. Robin Scorpio is not a doctor, she just plays one on TV. Actually she's a character on General Hospital. There is no real life Robin. However, she has a blog. The ABC writers generally update it after the show 4-5x per week.

No, big. It's a great, cheap promotional tool for the show. It offers viewers a small recap of the show from her perspective--- great for when you miss a day.

But. Then it gets strange. People can post comments (they've got that moderating feature, so each one has to be approved by the web guy, or whatever). They don't post show gossip and such. Grown women, and even men, actually write to the fictional character like she's a real person. They post comments such as:

Robin, I think that Dr. Patrick Drake has serious feelings for you and in turn, you have those same feelings for him. I'm not suggesting you let your guard down but don't put up such a brick wall. You are a strong and wonderful person. It wouldn't make you any less of a woman to admit you're falling in love

Gag! what's wrong with people! Some people just need lives, I guess. I mean, it's perfectly fine for kids to write to TV characters like they breifly had for American Dreams, or Lizzie McGuire, but a line needs to be drawn between family entertainment, and grown people who watch soaps. I realize soaps are all about escape. And I've been known to fall in crushes with TV characters and not really the actors behind them. But, never in my sentient, grown-up life have I imagined that a TV character would care that I support him.

I wonder if it's a way for the writers to steal ideas from the crazies?


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home