ice cream making and ranting

Monday, January 23, 2006

Gaja Okonomiyaki



I meant to take a picture before we cut into the food, but was too distracted


I went with Kenny and Stephanie to Gaja, a Japanese restaurant mentioned by boing boing

Their specialty is apparently Okonomiyaki (aka Japanese pizza or pancake). So, that’s what we ate. Between the 3 of us there was sausage (read: hot dog), cheese, mushroom, pork, corn, green onion and teriyaki chicken. They were rather like egg foo young with ginger and cabbage mostly, as flavors. The 3 of us decided that the place was rather unscary, and the food not strange at all. I was disappointed, Kenny was relieved. It was still good though, and I think my leftovers tasted better than it did fresh, because all the flavors got to seep.

The menu was gigantic. I’d go back next time and try something else. They are set up for cooking at your table. And some family near us was doing just that, and spread the delicious meat smell through the restaurant.

According to the sign in the bathroom, next to the wicker chair, the restaurant and menu change for dinner. Whatever that means, I just don’t know.

1 Comments:

  • At January 23, 2006 11:07 PM, Blogger Zack said…

    Wow, Gaja totally gets my vote for best web design, 1996 category. Bonus points for directing me to jmenu.html after I clicked on the English option.

    Maybe if you had gotten the fermented soybean okonomiyaki, you would have been less disappointed in the food, and I less disappointed in you.

    Okonomiyaki is a famed culinary mainstay in Osaka, Japan. It's made with flour (not that much), eggs, ground sweet potato, and cabbage. You may think that there are too many pieces of cabbage in the mixture, but you will need a lot. If you stir thoroughly, it will mix readily with the other ingredients. Okonomiyaki is a healthy food with a lot of vegetables in it. If you want to make okonomiyaki yourslf, it's really, really easy, and can be as healthy and taste-accommodating as you desire.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home