ice cream making and ranting

Friday, September 30, 2005

Fuzzy Friends Part 2


First, why hasn’t anyone commented on my first post?. Hmmph!

Second, how the hell do search engines work?! Really! I thought I was starting to get the hang of things. And the fuzzy friends have thrown me for a loop. If you notice, I clearly write “Baby animals and their fuzzy friends” and “baby animals & their fuzzy friends” just in case.

Somehow the blog search has picked up my post from the 1centshort blog, but not this one. And the regular google hasn’t picked up either.

I may have to resort to inventing words

I don’t get it, I may never get it. I realize that how things really work involve many closely guarded proprietary secrets. But if anyone can recommend me some articles or a book written in nice middle language somewhere between the internet for dummies and pages of algorithms, I’d definitely appreciate it. When I was writing my paper on recommender systems, I tried reading through the articles with algorithms (since these are the ones that have actual factual information, not just anecdotes), but after the introduction they were really over my head.

I may have to finally break down and take an intro CS class. But I worry that it wouldn’t satisfy me, and I’d be even more frustrated after realizing how much I really don’t know. I think what I really need to do is marry a programmer. He could teach me bits along the way, but mostly he’d just program my vision of the perfect database with the perfect search mechanism, and together we’d take searching by storm. Or maybe I just want to boss someone around.

For other reasons, I’m also slightly considering some kind of web class. But I think that might really be too painful.

~~~

In other news: Just in time for the end of Banned Books Week, he ALA finally (sort of) sent me my BBW bracelet. I ordered 1 adult and 1 child bracelet. They're back ordered on the adult one, so they just sent the child one. The bracelet is approximately 1/2" x 4" and they sent it in a 11" x 13" padded mailer-- kinda weird. Also, I had my doubts when I ordered it that it would fit. And it doesn't. I'm going to have to restring it with some beads in between, or something.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home