ice cream making and ranting

Friday, April 15, 2005

Happy Tax Day everyone

It's also my Dad's birthday. Talk about a reasonable excuse for not getting your papers in on time. Labor.

Apparently, Americans Spend 6.6 Billion Hours on Taxes

For individuals wondering how long they will spend on tax forms, the taxpayers' group said it takes an estimated 26 hours and 48 minutes to prepare the Form 1040 and its most common supporting schedules. That includes keeping records, learning the law, preparing forms, copying and mailing.

That actually is less than last year, when taxpayers could have expected to spend 28 hours and 30 minutes on the same forms.

I'm a DIY sort of girl. I see something in the store and think "I could make that for pennies on the dollar." and sometimes I actually do. But for some things, it's much easier and better to pay a professional. These categories include car washing, Chinese food, and taxes.

I don't know much about the financial state of affairs. I've succeeded in doing my FAFSA a few times. I've been on a healthy savings plan for a while. But I tried doing my taxes once, and that was completely the end of that for the rest of my life. For the small fee of $55 and probably less than 20 mins of my time I turned in my crap to my family's accountant and 2 weeks later my refund was in the bank. I haven't done my taxes in like 3 years and I'll never do them again.

You have no idea how much better my life is because I've delegated taxes to someone else.

In the future, I imagine, taxes will be completely automated. Of course that will also be the day everyone gets a flying car. From what I understand H&R block and others are violently opposed to everything that makes taxes easier to deal with (free online filing etc) and lobby against it every chance they get.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home