ice cream making and ranting

Friday, April 15, 2005

Car magnets

I've been quiet for as long as I possibly could, but the anger has just been building up inside.
I don't know how it is where y'all are, but here in the suburbs, where I drive through 7 miles of suburbia a to get to and from work every day, you can't escape them. All of those freaking cars and their magnetic yellow (and/or red, white and blue) ribbons.

I have 2 main problems with these things:

1. They didn't show up very long ago. WAY after we sent our boys on a mission they couldn't possibly win. One day they just showed up at the supermarkets and people just bought, bought, bought, because they're super cheap. One person gets one, then everyone on the block follows suit. This really is just jumping on the bandwagon. This wouldn't be such a problem, but:

2. People don't seem to understand the the concept of proper accessories. Much like the super fat girls who wear the retardedly tight shirts with their bellies hanging out, people try to fit the car magnets where they just don't fit. On pickup trucks and many SUVs the ribbons fit nicely on the back of the vehicle. It's a perfectly appropriate way to display their patriotism (or possibly their need to follow the flock) But, as much as people jabber about EVERYONE owing an SUV, most people don't. And they try to make their car ribbon fit on their tiny little trunk panel. But the car is too small, it doesn't fit. So, rather than find an appropriate sized symbol of patriotism, they just angle the damn thing. I don't know why this pisses me off so much, but it makes me want to ram my car into the other. The worse is when they actually have the damn ribbon turned 90 degrees. And I just realized that when they do that it looks like a Jesus fish. I don't know if it's intentional, but I'm betting not.

I'm pretty sure official flag code has something to say about displaying flag ribbons sideways. And I know that words (support our troops, God bless America) on a flag are a no-no. And for some reason, I respect flag code, even though I'm not entirely clear why I believe the US has exclusive claim on things that are blue and white starred with red and white stripes.

Turn your car ribbons right side up people, for goodness sake!!! Find something that actually fits your car.

Bleh.

2 Comments:

  • At October 18, 2006 7:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Do you have a teen driver? These magnets are great, easy to put on and take off. Perfect for the teenager driving under a permit. The magnets alert other drivers to be patient and aware that a new driver is behind the wheel. A must for every new driver. Visit AutoSafetyMagnets today!

     
  • At November 14, 2006 7:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    If you have a teenager driving under a permit, the safety magnets at Auto Safety Magnets are such a great idea. They are easy to put on and take off and alert other drivers that there is a new driver behind the wheel.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home