ice cream making and ranting

Friday, January 21, 2005

$5 reading list

i have 1 book to read this semester. it cost $5 from half.com. this is an improvement from last semester when my 2 books cost $100. $50 books that are shorter than 300pgs are unheard of for a person such as myself.

Killer Angels is a novel about the last 3 days of the civil war. it won a pulitzer. we have to read it because it's aboutleadership, apparently. for the core library class "Information Organizations and Management"

I figured that gone with the wind would be the only civil war novel i'd ever read. i guess i was wrong. this one is less than half as long, so that's good. but it also seems to be all about the soldiers on the battlefield, meaning there's no one like dear scarlett to make things interesting. I'm only about 30 pgs in. it doesn't make me want to die yet. Maybe I'll learn valuable lessons about leadership. I highly doubt that anything can teach more about leadership than the baby-sitters club and Jem though. Much less, some dumb civil war book. I should suggest a change of course. I'm looking for any excuse to spend $80 on JEM DVDs.

I'm sure i'll have more to complain about this class later. i thought it was going to be boring yet important things like floor plans, fire exits and budgets. But now I realize it will be one step away from those awful business leadership converstations they have on the apprentice .(the show being my only link to the business world) I started printing out some of the articles(on company paper, with company ink) I have to read. One of them actually has a quiz at the end and one of the questions is something like this:

Effective communication consists of:
a) spreading gossip
b) dominating the conversation
c) rasing your voice
d) expressing your thoughts as clearly as possible and then listening to what others have to say

oh, dear god, kill me now if i have to do an entire semester of this crap.

All I know is if being a librarian is anything like being in the civil war, I'm totally out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home