ice cream making and ranting

Monday, December 01, 2008

...is the new nose job?

I'm not sure what it's like where you live, but here in the greater LA area, I've seen quite a few billboards for the LAP-BAND popping up. They are slightly offensive to me, featuring a grumpy, ugly fat lady encouraging us all to go ahead an have a nice Christmas surgery.

But, I was completely unprepared for the radio commercial I heard this morning that went a little something like this:

You know, gyms just cost so much money... I think I should totally have elective surgery instead.

quite possibly, I've taken a little creative license with the part after the ellipses, but there's no mistaking the following:

1. They were comparing exercise with surgery.
2. They were implying that surgery costs less than $30/month.
3. They were implying that after the surgery there is no need for exercise.

I'm not denying the benefits of some kind of surgery for the morbidly obese. But the super, super majority of morning radio listeners do not need the surgery. And I just don't understand.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home