ice cream making and ranting

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Science Rules

I don’t watch NCIS. I don’t even know what it stands for. But I turned on the TV last night, and it was on the channel that turned on. There was a girl with Betty Paige hair, about my age (she couldn’t possibly be younger, because of her job), apparently she was one of those CSI medical scientist types. And there was a table full of snack cakes in front of her.

Enter an older man. Conversation ensues about snack cakes. And then something like this happens:

Girl: yeah, I feel like Bill Nye. He did an episode once where he analyzed the content of snack food, or course his wasn’t laced with poison…
Man: Who?
Girl: Bill Nye, the Science Guy. [blah, blah, blah about Bill Nye]
Man: Oh, like Mr. Wizard.
Girl: Who?

This is not a conversation a girl of that age, who is obviously American, of that educational level would have. I watched Mr. Wizard when I was a kid. Even if you didn’t watch him, you knew who he was. I was mostly too old for Bill Nye. Granted Nye was a bit more wacky than Mr. Wizard. But when it comes to science experiments Mr. Wizard is the person anyone thinks of.

This must be why I watch so little scripted network TV. (Except for Grey’s Anatomy, that show just keeps getting better!)

16 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home