ice cream making and ranting

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

check all that apply

rant

I hate small talk. I’m sure you all know that. And don’t understand people who enjoy it. But I really don’t understand some of the chosen topics of small talk. First I thought it was a generation gap, then I realized it might be a world traveler thing. But this boring, American ,white guy, who works for Morgan Stanley, who was only slightly older than me tried to engage me in a conversation about my ethnic heritage. This is one of the number one ways to bore me. I am sure that I have never had an opening conversation with anyone who has become my friend about ethnicity. Yes, it will probably, eventually come up in conversation in an unforced way and I learn something more about my friends. But, I don’t give a damn about the life history of strangers. And I’m leaning toward thinking it’s slightly rude to demand ethnicity from a stranger. The only people who can demand that are the Census, I think. For schools, for surveys, for anything else, it’s optional information.

Maybe I just have some hard races to deal with. Armenian: Fuck. The dumbasses who ask, often times have never heard of the place. And I become a history and geography teacher in the process too. Mixed white with a strong Polish leaning: 1. my white side of the family has never told me anything about my heritage. 2. the only thing the Poles are know for are being dumb and pirogis. Then they ask me if I’ve ever been to those places. And I tell them no, my family all lives in America, and I’m American. The next time I’m asked I’m going to say that my family worked hard to come to America for a better life, and spent all their money bribing people to escape being killed by the Turks. Who am I to second guess them? Do you think that will shut people up?

I think I’ve been brainwashed so much by being anti-racist, that I’m just anti-race. Ethnic differences don’t matter to me. I’ll fully admit to being ethnocentric, I’d be in big time denial if I didn’t. I’d just prefer that we’re all the same and that we talk about our similarities, and not our differences.

Also, I don’t particularly understand the draw of “exotic” races. Wow, you’re so different than me because your ancestors had dark hair and dark skin?

There’s current events, TV, my fantastic outfit, even freaking weather. Why ethnicity? Why? Is it just a good topic for boring people who have no hobbies, since everyone has some kind of ethnicity?

After this conversation I was so bored. But I couldn’t do anything about it. And I certainly didn’t want to listen to him talk. So when he asked me what librarians do, I started to tell him, but he was so boring I lost interest halfway through.

/rant

It’s a good thing the cheesecake was good. Really. Tiramisu Cheesecake Factory cheesecake. The crust is lady fingers, and is really much better than graham crackers. It didn’t taste like tiramisu. But was a very good flavor for cheesecake.

6 Comments:

  • At December 14, 2005 8:40 PM, Blogger Zack said…

    Ethnicity by itself is not very interesting, but it can be a good jumping off point for any number of extremely interesting things, like world history, cuisine, crass ethnic humor, anecdotes about your crazy homophobic aunts from the old world, the orphan-etymology of your crazy name, or the time your dad bit you on the arm and told you that you had a watch. These are all good conversational topics.

    Weather, on the other hand, is not only boring by itself, but leads only to conversation about how my car was really cold this morning, and I could see my breath, and yeah. Did you hear it snowed in Wherever-it-is? Wow, snow? I sure am glad we live in California, hyuck hyuck.

    Differences are way more interesting than similarities, and offer a chance for new information instead of just ego-stroking.

    ...

    What do you mean, the "draw" of exotic races? Do you mean you can't understand the appeal of miscegenatory trysts? Or that you can't understand why people would be curious about cultures and physical characteristics other than their own?

    Even somebody's curly hair can be interesting. The way it falls, the way light hits it, the trivial but definite genetic and therefore chemical differences that cause hair to be curly instead of straight. When I look in the mirror, I see boring blue eyes and slightly wavy brown hair. I would like to see things that look a little different, and it is natural, I think, to be curious about them.

     
  • At December 15, 2005 8:58 AM, Blogger Sarah the Hussy said…

    Zack, if it makes you feel any better about your bland whiteness, I find the shape of your eyes interesting. They're similar to my dad's, so I have wondered in the past if you have a country in common. (Poland and Italy. No.)

     
  • At December 15, 2005 9:25 AM, Blogger C said…

    what you say is true, were it to be a jumping of point for something interesting. But, people who open with asking your ethnicity never actually get to the interesting bits.

    and what i'll never understand is thinking someone is a fundamentally different person than you because you don't have similar physical attributes. It's one thing to find a particular person fascinating to look at. But to attribute it to their whole race?

     
  • At December 15, 2005 11:23 AM, Blogger Kenny said…

    Ethnicity also makes great stand-up material.

    Current events: Date quickly, more suited to late-night monologues

    TV: Only if it is about the Crocodile Hunter

    My fantastic outfit: Good for one or two jokes, tops

    Even freaking weather: Doubtful

    I suppose Cynthia would rather comedians talk about how black people do things like *this*, and white people ALSO do things like *this*.

     
  • At December 15, 2005 5:23 PM, Blogger Zack said…

    Sarah: Irish, Italian, Scandinavian.

    Cynth, it's up to the asked person to jump off into a new topic. Think of it as a creative talking prompt.

     
  • At December 16, 2005 11:18 AM, Blogger C said…

    yes kenny, yes

     

Post a Comment

<< Home