ice cream making and ranting

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Spooktacular Sodas

Also, speaking of Target, they have 4 special Halloween Jones Sodas in 4 packs of 8oz cans. Rather than make sense and package all 4 in 1 pack, you must buy them in 4 packs of a single flavor. According to http://www.jonessoda.com/ “These cans feature two new flavors, Candy Corn and Caramel Apple, and two old standards renamed as Strawberry Slime and Scary Berry Lemonade.”

I can’t possibly describe it better than these people or these people but I’ll give it the old college try.

At $1.49 +CRV per pack, I figured I didn’t have much to lose. I bought Candy Corn and Caramel Apple. I debated also getting berry lemonade, because I don’t think I’ve tried it. I would have bought it if I knew what a fantastic color blue it was, but I wasn’t buying because I thought they’d be good. I was pretty sure they would be awful (although I had secret hope for caramel apple, because I do like the regular Jones apple flavor)

Luckily, on Sunday, I saw half the people who read my blog and they could join me in my experimentation. I'm hoping Zack with be game for a try next weekend.

I popped the top of the Candy Corn first. I knew it would be the weirdest one. It smelled like one of those brown sugary flavors of jelly bellys. Good for a Jelly Belly, not so much for soda. Then I poured the pee yellow solution into a cup. It had a rather disturbingly bright candy-corn-yellow foam that you just don’t see with soda

Caramel Apple smells like sparkling apple cider. You can smell the sparkles. It’s rather apple juice color is decidedly undisturbing.

And then, the tasting...

More than anything Candy Corn tasted really, really, really sweet. Kenny noted that it tasted a little like cream soda. I objected, because I like cream soda, but conceded that cream soda may be a little too sweet, like Candy Corn, which is a lot too sweet. Conversation ensued about what candy corn actually tastes like. Maybe it does just taste like sugar. I think it’s more about texture than taste. If any one knows, please weigh in. Notably, it wasn’t vile, it wasn’t even actively bad, just kinda not very good

Caramel Apple was even more unremarkable, and smelled familiar (apple cider). And tasted like a less good version of Martinelli’s. Where is the caramel I ask? But there was no answer. It was fine. But, since beer is about the only carbonated beverage I seek out and don’t mind paying money for, I won’t really be getting it again. Lydia liked it, and I would have gladly sent it off with her, if she could carry it.

I think the moral of the story is clear. If it sounds like a bad idea, it is. Although I would have been much happier if it was shockingly awful, because that least that’s a story. Between the 4 of us, I doubt we drank 8 of our 16 ozs. Now I have 24oz of each flavor left. I’m tempted to leave it on a curb and post it on craigslist. I might make best of.

1 Comments:

  • At October 04, 2005 6:06 PM, Blogger Sarah the Hussy said…

    "I’m tempted to leave it on a curb and post it on craigslist."

    I thought about doing that with four bottles of the world's worst beer, but then I gave it to my sister-in-law so she could kills slugs with it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home