ice cream making and ranting

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Harry Potter Book Sold by Accident


This article seems to be missing a lot of facts. And rather than search for them, I’m going to pass judgments.

Here’s how I read the story:
A grocery store sold books to people before it should have. The people took the books home. The grocery store realized the mistake. Courts contacted the people who bought the books and ordered them to not read the books, and to turn them in to the appropriate authorities until Saturday.

How the courts found the shoppers is unclear. My guess is the club card. Scan your card, save 10 cents on bread, and have it forever recorded that on that day you bought that bread. Because of this, my grandparents pay extra for their groceries. My grandpa won’t get a card.

As much as I should oppose the now expired part of the patriot act about searching library records, I never thought it was that big of a deal. I don’t trust the government any more or less than I trust the companies that collect my grocery data. Personally, I don’t check things out of the library that I’m afraid of people knowing about. What I’m more concerned about is one day I’m going to need a pregnancy test or if I start buying some sort of medication regularly. What’s going to stop the people who have my data from passing it on to my insurance? What if one day I’m in a perfectly innocent car accident, but someone finds my records and sees that I’ve bought alcohol that day, what’s going to stop them from prosecuting me from drunk driving. What if one day I buy a lighter, and the next day my house burns down? Now it’s arson. The complications could be endless.

But until I have enough money to not think about it, I’ll be selling my soul to save 10 cents on bread.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home