ice cream making and ranting

Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Happy Second Week of February

I hope your Mardi Gras, Chinese New Year and Groundhog's Day were all swell.

Yesterday i spent a rather uneventful mardi gras, and today seems to be turning into a rather uneventful new year. You'd think in my company with the president and vp being Chinese, and so many other Chinese people working here we'd at least have a small party, or something. Our factories are closed, our Taiwan office is closed, and we're just here working like it's a regular day.

I tried to celebrate mardi gras this weekend. There were supposed to be festivities at the Grove/farmer's market. And there kinda were, i guess. There were a few dixie bands, and a rather unexcited person slowly handing out beads, but that was about it. I saw some people eating a king cake, but there didn't seem to be any place to buy them. Nothing looked particularly festive at the cajun food place, so i ate my usual potato crusted cod and spent like 3 entire minutes trying to figure out the song the band was playing--sweet georgia brown. And there was a small booth selling mardi gras crap like harlequin dolls and gator lamps. But really, if i didn't buy that crap when i was drunk in New Orleans, i'll never buy that crap.

There was this old couple at the table next to us. And saturday, i was in the mood to think they were cute. then i started thinking about when i get old. i like the farmers market. i love all the food, and i was even happy when they built the grove, because it gave me added incentive to drive my ass all the way there. But really, it's getting too cool for me. Those old people probably have been going to the farmers market since the beginning, when it was little more than a produce stand and pie shop and they'd be damned if they let the young kids come in and take their joy away. I respect that, and i know i won't be that way when I'm old. Already, it's trouble to go there, I have to put on my young, hip and LA clothes and be in my young, hip and LA mood, and parking keeps getting more and more expensive. I guess, maybe, I'll care less about meshing with the cool, beautiful, rich kids when I'm old. People will either ingore me because i'm old, or be nice because I'm old and they think i have money. Maybe the world is telling me I should just live a hipper life. If i practiced every day, it wouldn't be so much work.

In other news I got some clearanced cashmere gloves from the Grove's nordstrom. They are awesome!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home