ice cream making and ranting

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Fun with wiki

I dabbled in the Squelch wiki. 2 of my classes had wikis that we worked on. I've read articles from the real wikipedia. But, today, for the first time, I was pulled into action as guardian of knowledge, defending wikipedia from those who would abuse its democratizing powers.

I was trying to remember the order of Ranganathan’s Five Laws of Library Science and it was the first result in Google. So I go to the article, and see that this jerk has replaced law #1 with “boob.”

Then, I had to look it up correctly, and fix it. And made a few other changes while I was at it. The article was defaced for about 6 hrs before I swooped in. I must have been the only one to look at it, I doubt anyone would believe the first law was boob. This seems like a good story to tell in a job interview, I’ll be working on it. I did a good deed for the world, the karma better work for me.

I don’t use wikipedia that much, and it was the first time I noticed anything like that. I hate to think it was someone involved with libraries that did that. But, who else knows about the 5 laws of library science?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home