ice cream making and ranting

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

land of the not-so-free

I try to stay away from posting about politics, and post pictures of cute animals instead. But today, step 1 went through (again) in a plan that will make me question my national loyalty (again). Lets hope it fails in the senate again. If not, I hear Toronto has a good library school.

House Approves Flag-Burning Amendment

Not satisfied with passing a law, they want to make it a constitutional ammendment.

Lovely rhetoric:
Ask the men and women who stood on top of the (World) Trade Center," said Rep. Randy (Duke) Cunningham, R-Calif. "Ask them and they will tell you: pass this amendment."

Good, evoke dead people who can't voice their own opinion. That's totally fair and totally legitimate. Let's hope those people are thinking more like this next guy.

But Rep. Jerrold Nadler D-N.Y., said, "If the flag needs protection at all, it needs protection from members of Congress who value the symbol more than the freedoms that the flag represents."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't we supposed to have the freedom to protest the government without fear of punishment?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home